Sunday, August 21, 2016

Icon Analysis Blog





            The three pop culture icons I selected are a coke bottle, Apple Inc., and Kim Kardashian West. All of these represent pop icons which by definition are a celebrity, character, or object whose exposure in pop culture constitutes a defining characteristic of a given society or era. The categorization is usually associated with elements such as longevity, ubiquity, and distinction.  In 1915, the Coca-Cola Company gave a brief to its design team, a brief that was so simple it became history: “a bottle which a person could recognize even if they felt it in the dark, and so shaped that, even if broken, a person could tell at a glance what it was.” In 2015, Coca-Cola celebrated the 100 years of its iconic Contour coke bottle, its timeless and most famous brand ambassador. Apple Inc. Apple, Inc. engages in the design, manufacture, and marketing of mobile communication, media devices, personal computers, and portable digital music players. The firm offers products and services under the iPhone, iPad, Mac, iPod, Apple Watch, and Apple TV brands. And Kim Kardashian West is an American reality television personality, actress, socialite, businesswoman and model.
            I choose the coke bottle because it is timeless and people of all ages recognize it. Even though now coke is sold in cans everyone has memories for the coke bottle. For many, Coca-Cola is indeed the brand that comes to mind when getting into the holiday spirit. This is more than reasonable, if not completely understandable, since Coca-Cola has been hard at work on branding themselves for the holidays since 1931. The Coke bottle icon brings back memories of Christmas to me and reminds me of fun times in my childhood. As children we were not allowed to drink pop but at Christmas but since it is such a special time we were allowed to drink coke with our cousins, grandparents and aunts and uncles. And I looked forward every year to getting to drink coke. So the coke bottle represents a part of my childhood and Christmas memories.
Next I choose Apple Inc. because Apple has changed everyone’s daily lives. Apple has produced products that have changed the way people around the world communicate, obtain information and entertain themselves.  Whether it’s iPods, iPhones or iPads, they have become a part of daily life for people around the world. Even when you travel, everybody’s got a device including little kids, parents, and older adults. When was the last time you were somewhere and you did not see someone with an iPAd, ipod or cell phone? For me Apple has made a huge impact on my life. I use an iPad at work and is so much lighter than the laptop I used to carry to meetings. I also use an iPhone  to be connected to work, family in friends wherever I go to keep up with emails, texts, phone calls and the world. My children also use Apple iPads and download games from their App Store. So everyone in my family would say they could not live without Apple.
Lastly I chose Kim Kardashian West as my last icon because Kim Kardashian is a marketing genius. And what she markets is herself. Yes she did have family connects (her father was Robert Kardashian - O J Simpson’s lawyer ) but she always leveraged her connections to put herself in the spotlight at the correct time. She is photogenic and she has no shame exploiting her beauty. But she is the master at marketing herself and is worth over $150 million but never went to college. To me Kim Kardashian West represents the opportunities in America – you can be whatever you want to be.  Yes, she came from some money but she has gone well beyond her beginnings and to me is truly an inspiration for me that if you work hard and can accomplish your dreams.  

2 comments:

  1. Erika,
    I really liked your choices for icons of popular culture. They honestly might just be the top 3! Coca-Cola is such a huge company and has done so well in branding itself. I like how you included that the company even made the shape of the bottle that it could still be recognizable when broken. That’s just genius marketing there! That’s really cool that you have the memory of drinking Coca-Cola around Christmas with your family. When I think of Coca-Cola I typically think of Christmas time and everyone gathering around so the company has clearly done a good job of making themselves iconic during the holidays. You are completely correct on the fact that Apple has affected the way we communicate. The changes and advancements they have made which have led to other companies following suit is unreal. I am with you and your family in that I could not live without my Apple product! I am dating someone who lives very far away from me and Apple creating FaceTime so I don’t have to bother with Skype has made a world of difference! Kim Kardashian is another great example. Whether people love her or want to hate on her, she has definitely made a name for herself and will probably continue to for some time.
    Great post – I enjoyed reading it 
    -Amanda-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your three choices for popular culture icons. Kim K. is one of the biggest influence's in our time and era. She is a great example of how you can turn dirt into diamonds, she and her family has the reality tv lane on lock. They have created such a hug empire and is continuing to grow with the apps, emoji's and make -up lines. Apple is a hug product that has everyone want more, people doesn't even realize that the are spending hundreds of dollars for a phone that will constantly revamp and create something cooler, which forces people to go out and buy another and another.

    ReplyDelete