Monday, September 19, 2016

Theories of Pop Culture on Hip-Hop Music



           The theories of pop culture discussed in this class were the cult of celebrities, beliefs, icons, rituals, heroes, stereotypes and myths. The pop culture hip-hop music can apply any of these theories. The one theory that stands out the most for hip-hop music is stereotypes. Hip-hop artists are stereotyped all the time.
            Some of the stereotypes are positive, but I think hip-hop music receives many more negative stereotypes than positive stereotypes. I think many people think of these musicians as vulgar because of the language and also because of how they dress in their baggy pants. I find this interesting because country musicians wear cowboy hats, but they don’t get the same rap as hip-hop musicians. I also find it interesting that many people think of hip-hop musicians as musicians from the streets and uneducated. But how does the one even know the education level of a musician?  And do people who don’t like hip-hop music even understand the culture? I feel these stereotypes are unfair, and I for one enjoy hip-hop music and will continue to enjoy it.
            So after studying the theories of pop culture, I will keep an open mind about other pop culture items. I know I don’t like the negative stereotyping of hip-hop music, and so I need to keep an open mind about other pop culture items liked by others. After all, I don’t want to talk down pop culture items important to my children just because I find no value in them. So this class taught me this great lesson.  So thanks for teaching me not to repeat my parent’s behavior and put down pop culture items of the younger generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment